Sharing is caring
Usership instead of owning something is gaining followers. Why do consumers want to contribute to the sharing economy?
Generation after generation saw possession as the ultimate status symbol. Owning a house, a big car and towering stacks of CD’s. Current generations seem to be done with this. For them, using and experiencing is what counts.
Why do consumers want to contribute to the sharing economy?
- Saving money - says 32%.
- Feeling active and useful - says 13%.
- Reducing consumption/carbon footprint - says 13%.
- Contributing to the broader movement away from hyper-consumption - says 10%.
- Supporting individuals and/or small/independent companies - says 9%.
- Having an interesting experience/doing something most people haven’t yet tried - says 8%.
- Meeting new people - says 6%.
- Order a meal from a neighbour, 8/10 people say sharing makes them happy.
- Dine in someone else’s home, 75% like to share their meal.
Want to read more about the sharing economy?
Photo: Ben Grey
Food Inspiration magazine
17 March 2023 | 10 min
10 March 2023 | 4 min
8 June 2022 | 9 min
6 October 2023 | 10 min
1 December 2023 | 3 min