Written by Redactie on Friday 20 June 2014
salt sugar fat fast food
Years from now we will say: I can’t believe we let them get away with it. The food industry is under attack!
The food industry is under attack and the food debate has intensified. Will it change? Here are some distressing facts & figures.
- ‘Fast food chains behave like tobacco companies did 30 years ago’. - Mark Bittman
- This is the first generation of children in two centuries that are expected to have shorter life expectancies than their parents.
- 59% of Americans will be overweight in two decades.
- In 2050, one third of all Americans will have diabetes.
- ‘Years from now we’ll say: ‘I can’t believe we let them get away with it’.’ - Mark Bittman
- 71.4% of adult Americans receive - more than recommended by the World Health Organization - 10% of their daily caloric intake from added sugars.
- Someone who consumes a quarter of his average daily caloric intake of 2000 calories a day in the form of added sugars only has to drink two cans per day to achieve this.
- The majority of empty calories Americans consume through sweetened beverages (37.1%), cereal-based desserts (13.7%), fruit drinks (8.9%), dairy desserts (6.1%) and candy (5%).
Read the article in The Ultimate Seduction issue.